Tips on Packing for Treasure Island
The day has come and you are about to walk out the door to begin your vacation in Florida’s beautiful Treasure Island and suddenly your nerves start to get the best of you. While you know you packed everything that you need, in the back of your head you cannot help but think something slipped your mind. Everyone knows the feeling and often it is completely unwarranted, but there is little you can do to avoid it. At The Page Terrace, we always hear stories about the various things our vacationers forgot to pack. To help you put an end to any pre-departure nerves, we have put together a list of things to bring so you enjoy your stay at any of the hotels near Clearwater.
Clothing: When packing, make sure most of your clothes are lightweight and breathable to keep you comfortable throughout the day. If you are visiting us during the “colder” months, consider bringing a sweatshirt and jeans. Since we live a laidback life in Florida, you do not need to bring any formal attire, unless you plan on going to a fancy dinner in Tampa. You will want to avoid bringing clothing made from delicate materials, such as silk, as the salt area can ruin them.
Beach: You should bring at least one bathing suit to wear at our pool and one to switch into for the beach. Along with a towel and sandals, be sure to bring plenty of sunscreen as the sun is stronger since you are closer to the equator. You may also want to bring aloe for when the sun gets the best of you.
Accessories: You weren’t here unless you have pictures to prove it, so make sure you packed your camera and plenty of memory cards and batteries. Since you will likely spend much of your time relaxing on the beach, bring a good book and a music player. If you bring any electronics, consider buying an air tight bag as our air has a high concentration of salt that is notorious for damaging electronics.
By keeping these three key areas in mind when packing, you will not have to worry about missing your flight because you were busy double and triple checking your luggage. If you do forget anything while staying at The Page Terrace or any of the other hotels near Clearwater Beach, the front desk can always direct you to the best places to buy the items you forgot.
Judge Rules in Favor of Banning Vehicles from Treasure Island Beaches
Treasure Island recently took a major step forward in protecting its beloved beaches. Judge Pamela Campbell has ruled in favor of the lawsuit filed by our hotel and two other local hotels. This win serves to prevent the beach and the natural dunes from the potential damage of cars. While a Florida state law has prohibited driving on beaches since 1980, there was a provision enabling beaches that previously allowed the practice to continue doing so. The order will permit law enforcement, emergency and maintenance vehicles to drive on the beach when necessary.
Now when you stay at our hotel or any of the other hotels near Tampa, your view of the beach will no longer be crowded with a plethora of vehicles. Our victory will not only improve your view, but it will also guarantee the beautiful beaches that we have all grown to love will be around for years to come. We are now working with the city to find ways to keep all our favorite events in town while providing attendees with options for parking off the beach.
The passing of this order will not affect the occurrence of our city’s famous events, such as the upcoming Sanding Ovations, but many lead to moving them off the beach. The sculptors of the events will greatly benefit from prohibition of vehicles from the sand they use to make their stunning sculptures. Some events have already taken into consideration the need to protect our beaches and have moved to nearby parks.
While some store owners fear this ordinance will cause travelers to gravitate away from Treasure Island and instead choose to stay at hotels near Tampa, FL, the hotel owners are thrilled to have won the case. By ensuring cars are not polluting our sand, we have ensured the beach will remain a pristine attraction and continue to draw in thousands of visitors every year.
Hopefully, our victory motivates other Florida towns that currently allow driving on the beach to follow suit and join the cause to prevent further damage to our picturesque beaches. At the very least, our win has ensured that you and your family will be able to enjoy Treasure Island’s beautiful sand for generations.
Hotels Near Clearwater FL
When looking at hotels near Clearwater, FL, many visitors are looking to escape harsh winters up north and just want to enjoy hours on the beach. However, others may want to do more than soak up the sun and take advantage of all Treasure Island and its surrounding areas have to offer. If you work up the energy to leave the sand, we have compiled a variety of fun things for you to do in the area.
- Fishing: Being located right on the Gulf of Mexico, our city offers in-shore and offshore fishing options that are just a short walk away. While fishing in the area you can expect to catch snook, redfish, king mackerel, and tarpon.
- Boat/Waverunner Rental: If fishing is not your thing, but you still love being out on the ocean, you can rent a variety of boats and waverunners. You can also rent a kayak to get some exercise while cruising around our aquatic playground.
- Cruises: If captaining a boat is not in your skill set, you can sit back and relax on one of our many cruises. For the kids, there is a pirate themed cruise on a real pirate ship. If you have never seen a dolphin, there are a variety of cruises that offer the chance to ride next to the dolphins and even get in the water with them.
- Golf: Located just outside of Tampa, our guests are just a short drive from any one of the dozens of nearby public courses. Until recently, the Champions PGA Tour took place in Tampa, offering you the chance to play on the same course as many golf legends.
- Local Sports: Neighboring Tampa, you can support one of our local teams or sport your favorite team as they face off against the Tampa Bay Ray, Buccaneers, or Lightning.
- Cigars: Tampa is regarded by many as the Cigar Capital of the world and is home to many famous cigar factories. It is also home to the annual Cigar Heritage Festival, which attracts aficionados from all over.
When looking for hotels near Clearwater Beach, FL, look just down the coast and consider staying at our beachfront hotel and enjoy all Treasure Island has to offer.
Treasure Island Beach Events now subject to new Florida State Regulations
Thanks to a lawsuit filed by the owners of The Page Terrace Beachfront Hotel and other owners of beach hotels in Florida's Treasure Island, the state of Florida has increased regulations for beach events. The hotel owners argued that the huge influx of beach events in the small resort town was causing beach erosion and harming the environments of local animals. The state now requires anyone planning an event to present detailed site plans, bird and turtle nesting surveys conducted by independent groups, and permits for any activities that will take place beyond the coastal construction control line.
The biggest complaint of the hotel owners filing the lawsuit was that the city allowed cars to park and drive on the beach, which they claim is in violation of state law. Such activities cause damage to the beach. City Manager Reid Silverboard is opposed to the new regulations, and sees it as an unfair treatment for the city that not all cities are subject to. Their "unique venue, a wide sandy beachfront," he says, brings in a lot of revenue and the new regulations are not a welcome change.
However, the hotel owners worry that the destruction of the beaches will lead to decreased business for their establishment if tourists lose one of the main attractions of Treasure Island. Beach hotels in Florida bring in a lot of revenue for the state and the local Treasure Island economy. Some aspects of the case may now be subject to a summary judgment filed by the city, but the new regulations are moving forward.
Page Terrace Property Updates
Currently at the Page Terrace Hotel we are working to update the property including the rooms.
As of December 2012, the updates to the Page Terrace Hotel include the following:
Coming soon will be a refurbished web site as well as some minor building improvements.
- All Room Bathrooms are newly Renovated.
- All Room Kitchenettes are newly Renovated.
- All Rooms have 32" Flat Screen Televisions with DVD Players.
- New PGT Insulated, Tinted, and Impact Hurricane Windows in All the Rooms.
- New Fiberglass Front Entry Doors with new hardware.
- New Landscaping.
- New Hallway Carpet installed.
- New 7 Space Bike Rack on the side of the building.
- New high powered Wireless Internet access system that can reach all throughout the building as well as around the Pool, Patio and the Beach.
- New Wall Art.
We thank you for your business and welcome any thoughts for future improvements.
Here are some pictures of the completed rooms.